Massachusetts fugitive nicknamed ‘Bad Breath Rapist’ captured in California after 16 years on the run

A fugitive known as the ‘bad breath rapist’ was arrested after fleeing Massachusetts in 2007

Police in Northern California on Tuesday helped U.S. Marshals arrest a fugitive wanted in a Massachusetts rape case nearly two decades after he fled the state while on trial, authorities said.

According to a press release issued by the US Marshals Service, the arrested man was identified as Tuen Kit Lee, who was tried for the 2005 kidnapping and rape of a young woman at knifepoint in Quincy, Massachusetts. The release said Lee was convicted at a trial in September 2007, but fled before being sentenced.

Massachusetts State Police offered a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to Lee’s arrest and appeared several times on the television show “America’s Most Wanted” to discuss the case.

Lee was nicknamed the “bad breath rapist” after the media learned that one of the pieces of evidence establishing Lee as the attacker was his foul breath.

According to the US Marshals Service, Lee fled Massachusetts. His whereabouts were unknown until Massachusetts State Police investigators developed information about the fugitive earlier this year, indicating he may have been residing in Diablo, a location designed to the census in Contra Costa County, a few miles from the East Bay suburb of Danville.

Investigative leads were sent to the US Marshals Pacific Southwest Regional Fugitive Task Force (PSWRFTF) in Northern California, which worked with the Danville Police Department to determine that it It was Lee who lived in the area. On Tuesday, officers from the Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section (VFAS) and the Quincy Police Department arrested Lee with assistance from the USMS Fugitive Task Force Massachusetts and Danville police.

“Any cold case is unique. Someone who’s been on the run for 17 years probably felt pretty comfortable. It’s unique that there haven’t been additional crimes that we couldn’t have -not be seen, especially for something as violent as this,”

Authorities confirmed Lee was arrested near the intersection of Hill Road. and Diablo Rd., which is close to Green Valley Elementary School.

Massachusetts State Police later confirmed that Lee was arrested after a motor vehicle stop by Danville officers. Lee initially provided a false name, but eventually confessed when pressed by authorities about his real identity. The police were able to confirm his identity using his fingerprints.

“We were constantly told that it was a very tight, close-knit neighborhood and that if there was any police presence, all the neighbors would hear about it, and we didn’t want to give up the idea that it was there.” , Chris said. Tamayo, chief inspector of the US Marshals Service. “It’s probably going to be a big shock. Hopefully it won’t cause them any worry other than someone hiding here.”

State police noted that the companion who was with him at the time of his arrest never knew who he really was, even though they had been together in California for 15 years.

The release said the arrest brings closure to the lives of the victim and law enforcement who worked to locate Lee for more than 16 years.

“There are violent offenders who believe they can commit crimes without being held accountable for their actions,” said Chief Inspector Sean LoPiccolo, PSWRFTF commander. “Tuen Lee has been on the run for over 16 years and law enforcement’s unwavering dedication to locating and arresting him will hopefully bring peace of mind to the victim and his family.”

“I greatly appreciate the work of the Massachusetts State Police Fugitive Unit and the men and women of the U.S. Marshals Service who made this arrest possible,” said Quincy Police Department Chief, Mark Kennedy, in the press release.

Authorities said Lee was arrested by Danville police and will be held by that department pending extradition to Massachusetts.

Leave a Comment