Police investigate shooting near Garfield High School

The high school is on lockdown while police investigate the shooting.

SEATTLE — Garfield High School in Seattle is closed Thursday afternoon after a teenager was injured in a shooting near campus.

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) said in a social media post on X just after 12:30 p.m. that officers were investigating a shooting in the 400 block of 23rd Avenue. A teenage boy was transported to Harborview Medical Center in serious condition.

Police said parents and students will be able to gather on the south side of the school when the lockdown is lifted. The ministry did not provide an estimate of how long the school will be closed in the social media post.

Police have advised the public to avoid the area while they investigate.

Thursday’s shooting is the latest in a wave of violence near campus in recent months.

Two months ago, authorities said people were shooting at each other in two cars near campus. Police said calls came in shortly after 1 p.m. on April 23 reporting a shooting at 22nd Avenue and East Jefferson Street.

Investigators said the vehicles involved are described as a gray Toyota and a blue Toyota. No one was hit by the shooting, but police said a nearby structure was damaged and the blue car involved was damaged.

“It’s not safe here,” said Jeff Leonard, who was working in the area at the time of the shooting. “It’s not safe. It’s become normal for shootings to happen here.”

A teenage girl was injured March 13 in a shooting while she was at a bus stop near the high school.

Police and medics responded to the area of ​​East Jefferson Street and 23rd Avenue in Seattle around 2:45 p.m. on March 13. The location was near Garfield High School, but officials said the shooting did not take place at the school.

Seattle Fire crews treated a girl, approximately 17 years old, who was shot while waiting at the bus stop in front of Ezell’s Famous Chicken, officials said. She was transported to Harborview Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police said she was not the intended target in the drive-by shooting that sent people running for safety. Garfield High School stayed put, which students and parents say has become a norm.

A week after the teen was shot, dozens of parents protested outside Garfield High School, concerned about continued gun violence.

“We’re getting texts from our kids at school saying, ‘Hey, I’m in shelter-in-place.’ I was on the field for lunch, there was shooting off the side of the field and we all got pulled inside,” said Kathleen Lendvay, who has a sophomore at Garfield High School. “You don’t get used to it.

Lendvay said she and other parents have tallied the number of times this has happened over the past 12 months.

“Six times now we have found ourselves in the situation where we received a message from the school messaging system or from other parents saying there was a shelter in place or shooting around the school,” Lendvay said.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Download our free KING 5 app to stay on top of news from across Western Washington.

Leave a Comment