Team Trump requests documents from vice presidential candidates Burgum, Vance and Rubio

Others will likely be considered for the No. 1.2 job, but initial requests reflect who is at the top of Trump’s list at this point. Campaign officials say the final decision will be up to Trump.

“Anyone who claims to know who or when President Trump will choose his vice president is lying, unless that person is Donald J. Trump,” said Brian Hughes, a senior adviser to the Trump campaign.

Trump campaign officials also requested information from the senator. Tim Scott, representatives. Byron Donalds, Elise Stefanik and Ben Carson, according to sources. But it is clear that the demands were vast.

Representatives for Burgum and Vance did not respond to ABC’s request for comment. Rubio has denied receiving any contact from Trump campaign officials.

“I haven’t told them about the vice president,” Rubio told Rachel Scott on Wednesday.

Although the former president has not yet indicated who he would choose to be his vice president, he said he plans to make his announcement closer to the Republican National Convention, which will take place in July.

In recent weeks, those considered a possible vice president for Trump have increased their public visibility by appearing on cable networks, defending the former president at his secret trial and some even appearing in court with Trump .

Burgum was the only known potential veepstakes contestant to appear at the courthouse during jury deliberations for Trump’s criminal trial, which occurred only after Trump campaign officials asked him to provide general information to consider in the search for vice presidential candidates.

Last week, after televised appearances outside the courthouse, Burgum joined Trump and his son, Donald Trump Jr., as the jury deliberated. Two hours later, Trump was found guilty.

Burgum’s appearance was a sign of loyalty in the initial next steps and strength as a partner in stormy waters.

Vance also appeared as a substitute at the Manhattan courthouse on May 13.

Often asked about the possibility of becoming vice president under Trump, Burgum, Rubio and Vance often avoided answering the question directly, but said they would do what the Trump campaign asked of them, including serving as campaign surrogates and raising voices. Money for the former president’s campaign.

Discussions have been held with Team Rubio about how to resolve the constitutional issue that could prevent residents of the same state from being on the same presidential ticket – including the possibility of the Florida senator moving for the job, they said. indicated sources.

When asked recently on NBC if he wanted the vice presidential job, Rubio responded, “I’ll do whatever the campaign asked me to do.” »

In a phone interview on Newsmax Tuesday evening, Trump was asked if he was close to making a decision on choosing a running mate and complimented Vance, Rubio and Burgum.

“I thought Tim Scott didn’t run as good a race as he was capable of running for himself, but as a surrogate for me, he’s incredible,” Trump said.

“Governor Burgum of North Dakota has been amazing. Marco Rubio has been great. JD Vance has been great. We’ve had so many great people there.”

ABC News’ Lalee Ibssa contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment