Texas man dies, woman injured by electrocution in Mexico resort hot tub

A Texas man died and a woman was injured when they were electrocuted in a hot tub at a resort in northwest Mexico, officials and local media said Wednesday.

The 43-year-old man was in a jacuzzi with a 35-year-old woman when both were electrocuted by an “electric shock”, the Sonora state attorney general’s office said in a statement. The incident occurred around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at a private condominium complex in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, officials said.

The couple — identified by CBS affiliate KDBC as Jorge Guillen and Lizette Zambrano of El Paso — were both in a hot tub at the Sonoran Sea Resort when they were electrocuted, the station reported. KDBC and local media outlets released video of the aftermath of the incident, which appears to show people, some screaming, huddled around a hot tub while someone attempts to perform chest compressions on a person lying on floor.

Family members of the couple said Zambrano remained in critical condition, according to KDBC.

A GoFundMe launched for the couple had raised more than $21,000 as of Thursday morning.

“Jorge had a heart of gold and was always there for his family and friends,” says GoFundMe. “The love they shared was the same for ages.”

Mexico.jpg
Jorge Guillen and Lizette Zambrano

GoFundMe


A witness told investigators at the scene that she tried to get into the hot tub after noticing the couple was unresponsive, El Paso’s KTSM reported, but as she tried to get into the tub , she was shocked and therefore called for help.

Investigators will try to “determine the origin of the electrical outage,” the attorney general’s office said, adding that it would provide more information later.

According to its website, Sonoran Sea Resort has three oceanfront pools as well as family and adult Jacuzzis. It’s about a four-hour drive from Phoenix, Arizona.

Last June, a man died after an apparent electrocution while repairing a hot tub at a Phoenix fitness center.

Leave a Comment