Family of 28-year-old man killed in MacArthur Park in Los Angeles speaks out

The devastated family of a 28-year-old single father found dead, floating face down in the lake at MacArthur Park in Los Angeles, is speaking out after two men were arrested in connection with his death.

The victim, Kyle Sherwood, was discovered in the lake shortly before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Los Angeles Fire Department medical personnel pronounced the 28-year-old man dead at the scene.

Later that day, Los Angeles Police Department homicide detectives revealed that city cameras placed around the park captured two suspects pushing Sherwood, who was still alive at the time, into the lake.

On Thursday, authorities announced the arrest of the two suspects, although they have not yet been publicly identified.

In family photos, Sherwood appeared to be a happy single father to his 6-year-old son. A former state wrestling champion, high school graduate and sheet metal worker, his family told KTLA’s Sandra Mitchell that the 28-year-old suffered from mental health issues and was trying to break his addiction to the opioid fentanyl.

In May, Sherwood traveled to Los Angeles to get help for his addiction and attended a program at the Dream Center.

“He was excited about this place,” said his sister, Heather Knaack. “He said it was a good place. He was convinced to go.

However, two days after Sherwood entered the program, he disappeared.

His family, frantically at home in Washington state, had no contact with him for weeks. They said they tried to contact the Los Angeles Police Department but received no response.

They also said someone from the Dream Center tried to file a missing person report last month but was turned away.

“They told him no, he’s an adult. He could leave whenever he wanted,” Knaack said of the counselor’s interaction with police. “They weren’t going to look for him. No one would help us search for him.

Family members had no idea where he was until they received a phone call from a number they didn’t recognize.

“The person said they were at MacArthur Park and it was a very dangerous park. I wouldn’t want any of my family members there. Maybe you should get him out,” Knaack said.

Witnesses told family members there was a fight in the park.

“I heard he was kicked in the head several times,” Knaack said. “He was like, ‘Stop, why are you doing this?’ My brother is not a violent person.

Although police have yet to say anything about a motive, they say the 28-year-old’s death is a possible homicide.

Leave a Comment